Friday, June 16, 2006

Finding pleasure in the simple things


I feel like I'm starting to get all wound up again and long for the unwound and relaxed feeling of last Christmas. The other day I watched on amused as a couple of little kids amused themselves during a long train ride with each other and their imaginative worlds. This prompted me to take action and put a stop to work and just relax - a little bit of cooking and little light reading that evening. Its amazing how much fun it can be throwing around a ball or taking a walk around the neighborhood or park.

My RPMs have been reving pretty high the last few months, but I feel like I'm getting my margin back. I'm trying to enjoy the simple pleasures.

I was reading Matthew 6 and reflecting on two fascinating commandments. They aren't the kind of "commandments" we typically think of as commandments, but Jesus subscribed to bird-watching and flower-smelling.

Look at the birds--Matthew 6:26
Look at the lillies--Matthew 6:28

One of my goals is to do more bird-watching and flower-smelling. Some of it is scheduled. We have a picnic day and time out with colleagues over breakfast. But some of it is just spontaneous. Last Christmas was my time of winter adventure. I was really intentionally about turning everything into an adventure. I guess I am learning to enjoy a season of simple pleasures :)

No comments: